I like to think of Mulled Wine as "The holiday drink for those of you who do not want to partake in the spiked Eggnog, because its made from eggs, but you still want to drink."----Boozy yet comforting, simple to make, plus an instant aromatic for the house. Mulled wine is the perfect drink for holidays.
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- Strainer or Cheese Cloth
- Stock Pot or Dutch Oven
- 2 Bottles of nice red wine (Shiraz, Zinfandel, California Red Blend)
- 2 Cups Brand--- again use something not too expense, but that you wouldn't mind drinking solo.
- 4 Sprigs fresh Rosemary
- 7 Sprigs fresh Thyme
- 1 Vanilla Bean ---scrape the beans out
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- Zest of 1 Orange
- Juice of 2 Oranges
- 2 Red Apples Sliced
- 5 Cinnamon Sticks
- 7 Star Anise
- 1 Tbsp Whole Cloves
- Pinch of White Pepper
- Orange Slices, Rosemary, Thyme, Cinnamon Sticks: All optional
- Combine all ingredients
- Bring to a boil on Medium. Allow to boil for 5mins
- Bring back down to a simmer. Allow to simmer 45min on low heat.
- Take of the heat and allow to cool
- Place wine (only) in Crockpot for serving
*Key here is to build the flavors into the wine. Don't rush the process by turning the heat up too high. Low and slow will allow all your fruit, herb, and spice flavors to incorporate into the wine.