Chicken n dumpling
-CHICKEN N' DUMPLINGS-
My boyfriend and I have an interesting dynamic: he's a picky eater; there's few things I won't eat. When I discovered that this was one of his favorite meals to eat, I quickly consulted my mother on her recipe. I did put some special touches on this recipe to make it my own, but the dumplings are all her! This Recipe is great for a nice cold day, but honestly, per my BF request, I find myself at times making this in the middle of summer! Between the two us, this recipe can last about three days...MAKE. FRESH. DUMPLINGS. EACH. TIME.---very important. The dumplings don't do well sitting in the soup overnight and then being reheated. You want tender dumplings not soggy ones. Its worth the extra set up to roll out, and cut fresh dumplings each time you reheat a batch.
- Heavy Stock Pot
- Chef's Knife
- Cutting Board
- 1 Pack of Bone-In Chicken Leg and Thigh (about 5pieces)
- 3 Stalks of Celery
- 3 Whole Carrots
- 2 White Onions
- 1 large Clove of Garlic (smash whole)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Dried Oregano
- 3 Chicken Bouillon
- 2 Tbsp Whole Peppercorn
- TT Kosher Salt
- Handful of Parsley with Stems
- 2 Cups Flour
- 2 Cups Butter
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup Milk
- Cut onion, celery, carrots just enough to fit into your pot. I like to cut the celery and carrots in half and the onions in quarters.
- Add chicken, spices, and bouillon to veggies then completely cover in warm water.
- Allow to come to a boil. Once it has come to boil, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 45min-1hr, or until chicken is cooked.
- Carefully pull chicken out and place to the side in a bowl, and allow to cool.
- Strain the entire content through chinois; put liquid back in to pot.
- Remove skin and bones from chicken, and shred meat. Add meat back to the broth.
- Bring to a low simmer.
- Combine and sift flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter.
- Gradually add in milk as you knead dough.
- Roll out and cut into desired pieces.
- Add into broth and chicken; cook 7-10mins (once dumplings start floating)